RE: [CH] Hot pepper paint

Fawcett, Steve (steve.fawcett@eds.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:00:01 -0400

They also use the same treatment on various wire and cabling to keep the
rodents from gnawing at them, works real good!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Frary [mailto:jdf@shore.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 12:59 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] Hot pepper paint

>I also have heard where a paint company is experimenting
>with chile's in an exterior paint as a bug killer.

>Byron

To the chile list,
This idea is not new.
I've been a lobsterman along the Massachusetts coast most of my life and
have seen the old-timers add large handfulls of powdered cayenne pepper to
their
bottom paint just before they applied it to their boats. They swore it
worked as extra protection against worms (they all had wooden boats then)
and other living things making the boat hull their home.

I now paint all my lobster buoys with cayenne-laced paint to retard seaweed
and other stuff from growing on them. It seems to work. They stay clean and
bright most of the season.

Dave (a frustrated chile grower)