RE: [CH] (slightly) OT still on Zin..

Bloechl, Sharen Rund (sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:18:48 -0700

Sorry, Zin is chiefly grown in CA but it IS grown in

*	Croatia (it's home - see article from: The Zajednicar, November 20,
1996:  http://www.dalmatia.net/croatia/wine/zinfa.htm) , excerpt: "
"This is the area where Zinfandel was born," says Miljenko "Mike" Grgich,
seated at the dining table in a Croatian friend's
house sipping homemade "Postup" poured from a glass pitcher. "It's the same
variety - It's Zinfandel," he says. We are in the
tiny, sunny	seaside village of Trstenik on the Peljesac Peninsula about
50 miles north of Dubrovnik. Grgich, best known for the
prize-winning Chardonnays that he makes at Grgich Hills cellar in the Napa
Valley, has just built a winery here and will
produce his first Plavac Mali in the vintage of 1996.

"Mike Grgich, a native of Croatia who left in 1958, uses the word Zinfandel
interchangeably with "Mali Plavac" ( pronounced
mah-lee plah-vahts) in conversation with an American visitor. "Mali Plavac,
Plavac Mali, you can say it either way, it's
Zinfandel," he says. "People moved from here to Italy and brought it with
them," he continues, reciting a litany repeated by
other Croatian winemakers, who seem amused that they are the only ones who
have long been convinced of the common
origins of their grapes and the Zinfandel." . . .he may know what he's
talking about. . . .

*	Also in Australia. . ." Zinfandel should work in the Koppamurra-the
slightly warmer climate than Coonawarra may enable us to produce a big style
similar to those from Cape Mentelle in WA and Ravenswood in the Alexander
Valley in the US." Regional report on Koppamurra, Extracted from the
November issue of the Wine Industry Journal.

*	And in Spain. . .

Sharen Rund Bloechl

Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Sunnyvale Data Center
sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com <mailto:sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com>
Phone: 408-756-5432
[or]					Fax:   408-756-0912
srund@svl.ems.lmco.com <mailto:srund@svl.ems.lmco.com> 		LMnet:
8-326-5432
Pager: 408-539-5146	web:
http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi
<http://webpager.lmms.lmco.com/perl/mtrocall.cgi>
[or] Operator Assist:  1-800-725-5079, pin 408-539-5146