Re: [CH] Children for adoption

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 17:39:11 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Kevin Crooks wrote:

> I just got home from vacation.  My chiles are all burned up.  My two
> teenage sons were supposed to water them daily.

"Water them *daily*?"

Wow.  Do you live somewhere where the heat is high and the humidity low?
I've got a chile patch that's had one measurable rain of less than 1/4
inch since July 4th weekend and I've only watered it once and 95% of my
hot peppers are doing fine.  I've got another 70 or so plants in troughs
and pots in my yard and they get watered every 5 days if it doesn't rain,
and not even then unless they show heat stress for a day.

I always thought that if you over-watered pepper plants they wouldn't
develop big hairy-type rootball systems and when they went without
water for a bit then they'd croak because they couldn't tap the last bits
of mositure with the too-large roots in their systems.  I shouldn't butt
in, but if this is true then your plants were ready to die at the first
dry spell.

On the other hand, I've got a 16 year-old and a 14 year-old.  The only
responsibilities I'm comfortable leaving them with when I'm gone is making
sure the refrigerator gets emptied and running us out of soda pop faster
than should be humanly possible.

carp