Re: [CH] a bit off topic - chop sticks

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 17:31:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Chet Bacon wrote:

> Anyone have a clue where I might purchase the non-throw aaway version of
> chop sticks.  I'd like to get a few for everyday use and gifts.   When I
> was in the service 30+ years ago you used to find them all over.  I
> guess they would be made from plastic as ivory is not a kool product any
> longer.

Yeah, I know you said respond off-list, but I'll get on topic here in
a second:  Stick with the wooden ones.

We use wooden chopsticks over and over just as we use wooden cutting
boards for all of our food and chiles that need slicked or diced. Wood
stuff is very much more bacteria-free than plastic or metal.  The wood was
alive once and retains natural anti-biotics that kill off all sorts of
nasty little buggers.

What with all of the newer strains of bacteria that are developing that
are resistant to anti-bacterial agents, using any and all non-chemical
aids to rid your food and chiles of noxious hangers-on is a big positive.

carp