[CH] Re: chopsticks

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:25:58 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

> Metal is much more bacteria free and can be sterilized!  The wood is lovely,
> but you should see the mold that grows in and on them in China.  Yuk!
>
> I bring my own, it's the best way not to get sick.  Even plastic is more
> sterile.  Honest.

The wood has to be cured and washed with soap regularly.  Honestly we've
never had a problem.  But I'm not in China so I have no idea how eating
utensils are cared for there.  I was a medic in the army and one of the
things we regularly treated was intestinal disorders caused by improperly
washed metal coming into contact with food.  Man, a little bit of grease
left on an eating utensil can go a long ways.

Of course if you eat enough hot chiles they should destroy any and all
bodily invaders.

"That which does not kill us makes us stranger."
                                    Nick The Barkeeper

carpo