FW: [CH] Biker's Billy's Jalapenos

McWilliams, Dan (DMcWilliams@fendall.com)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:35:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: McWilliams, Dan
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 1:49 PM
To: 'Brent Thompson'
Subject: RE: [CH] Biker's Billy's Jalapenos

Brent,
	No, I understand your question and a little clarification couldn't
hurt. My Billys (since I haven't had "yore" peppers) run from 1-1/2 to 2X as
hot on the heat scale as whatever those I grew the last two years were. In
other words a Biker Billy of the same size as a generic jalapeno
(generapeno?) is alot hotter. Of course even mine seem to vary from plant to
plant a bit. I really have enjoyed the Bikers and they have been very
tolerant of the heat lately here in CheeseLand. My experience with them is
that they are also a little meatier and thicker than the standard 'peno. I
would be happy to send you a few if you like. Right now I am letting a bunch
ripen.
	I will to answer some of the questions you had in a later email
concerning the "preciousness, productivity, etc." of these jalapenatic
beauties which I have had such good luck with. I live in Southwest
Wisconsin. I started ~20 seeds in my basement around the middle of March in
peat pots. They had all germinated in about 10 days. I had to repot them in
bigger pots in the middle of April. I hardened them off by taking them
outside occasionally in the second week of May. Around that time they began
to flower. Memorial Day weekend I planted the (15) plants that I thought
looked the best in my garden and the remaining ones in (5) gallon pots. As
seems to be the norm with most my peppers, they grow slowly for the first
(3) weeks then took off. Nothing (except me) seems to have bothered them. I
had good size green peppers around the middle of July. It had been very hot
and humid here until last week. The plants are now 24" - 30" tall and each
plant has 15 - 20 large 2" - 3" 'round and 2" - 4-1/2" long peppers which
are getting ready to turn red. The one plant that I have been taking the
peppers off reflowers nicely. I had a couple last night for dinner that were
large enough to stuff with burger and rice. I am real happy with them. Check
out Burpee's for more Biker Billy promo and background.

Dan McWilliams
dmcwiilliams@fendall.com