RE: [CH] It's Salsa time!

Britt, Robert K (rkbritt@novanthealth.org)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:07:29 -0400

I canned salsa last night.  Made up about 6 and ½ pints.  Here is my recipe:

Tomatoes (as many as necessary to make amount you want)
Peppers (Habanero, Jalapeno,  serrano,....amount to taste)
Cilantro (probably about ½ cup chopped)
White onion (3/4 of one)
Balsamic vinegar (red wine vinegar - about 1/3 cup or less to taste)
Olive oil (about ¼  -1/3 cup depending on amount being made)
Salt (Heavy two to three pinches)
Sugar (about a heaping tablespoon and just a little more)
Pepper (coarse black cracked pepper - for color in the jars)
Garlic (powdered  and minced - amount to taste)
Lemon Juice (squeeze about ½ of one lemon)
Lemon Pepper (spice rack stuff - amount to taste)
Garlic Pepper (spice rack stuff - amount to taste)

I combine everything in a big pot and cook on low heat for several hours
until it reaches the taste (I do a lot of tasting while cooking!!).  I heat
my jars and lids (lids in a small pot, jars in a big pot).  I blend the
salsa in a blender for just a couple of seconds, then take out a jar and a
lid, fill the jar to within about ½ inch of the top with the blended salsa
and put the lid on and ring on then the jar goes back in the pot of
hot/slightly boiling water.  After all are filled and in the pot they just
barely boil for 10-12 minutes.  I take then take them out of the pot and
they seal overnight.  Any that don't seal go in the refrigerator for
immediate eating.  YUM!!! YUM!!!

I also can pickled peppers!!!

Regards,

Robert (Likes HOT salsa!!!)