Re: [CH]V6 #27 Purple Pepper Id Please!

Tony (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:50:35 +1200

Dave Williams wrote:

> Hi all,
> I seem to recall sending Diane Cavallero (sp?) some seed a couple of years
> ago of a chile with dark purple leaves  that I got from a diamond mine in
> Alexander Bay in Namaqualand, high up on the West Coast of South Africa
> where the Orange River meets the sea.They seem to grow wild ther but some
> people use them as herbacious borders in their gardens.
> If these are the same they eventually ripen red ( the black fades to red).
> Fruits are erect and teardrop shaped. Flowers are violet.
> No idea what they're called or how they got there but they've been there for
> as long as anyone there can remember.
> Dave Williams in Cape Town

Hi All

Now this interesting. I got some seeds from Margaret L: last year when I
was trying to identify a purple ornamental. One was named " Black
Namaquland" these grew into a beautiful, dark purple leafed plant about
2 foot high. Purple fruit that turned red.

They have survived our mild winter and I have just started some seeds
for new plants.
I feel sure that this is the same plant which has now traveled to New
Zealand from South Africa via Indiana. USA.

Small world eh.

Tony Flynn