[CH] Seed saving

Roger Shezall (rshezall@netcomuk.co.uk)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:32:06 +0100

Paul Bonarski wrote:

> I have really cut back on saving seeds however because of the relative
ease
> at which peppers will cross pollinate. I read somewhere that the big
> commercial producers separate varieties by at least a mile to avoid
crossing.

I'll say.

This year has been my biggest ever crop at around 150 plants, but to my
horror not one of my serranos - my all time favourite - has come true.

They appear to have crossed with pequins (their close neighbours in the
greenhouse last year) the result being an oval fruit about the size and
shape of a large grape - or a small jalapeno.

What their taste and heat will be remains to be seen, but as I don't
have the means to separate my plants, this is the last year I shall grow
from saved seed.

Thankfully, the habs still look like habs...

Roger