Re: [CH] Fish Sauce (Slightly OT)

Myron Menaker (myronm@bellsouth.net)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:20:24 -0400

Dear Luke, Randy, et al.,

Depending on how much of that <bleep> stuff you use, here's a recipe for
"do it yourself" fish sauce you might wish to try in a pinch:

               ASIAN FISH SAUCE
                  2 tsp. Soy Sauce
                  2 Mashed Anchovies
               Makes 1 Tbs.

Myron

Luke Speer wrote:

> Randy wrote:
>             I asked the owner about a choice of two available brands.  He
> recommended the brand that was "not so fishy".  Who-Weee!  I'm glad I
> didn't get the "fishy" one.
> Most folks who have smelled it choke a little, shake their heads and ask
> if I *really* eat that stuff!
> Luke replied:
> Wait till you get one that has gone bad.. Early in my fish sauce days I
> opened a bottle one day and was just about to pour it into the dish I
> was cooking when I caught a sniff and decided not to.(Just as well
> because it may have been hard to wash from the Chiles). I went down to
> the supermarket and got another of the same brand, opened that and
> compared the two, and decided the proper place for the first bottle was
> a burial at sea or a toxic waste dump..
> Here in Oz we are seeing more Asian type food so Fish sauce is becoming
> more commonly used..

Myron Menaker                      Daytona Beach FL USA
myronm@bellsouth.net     |
         "Keep the Whole World Singing!"          |