Re: [CH] Chile Hearts and First hab

Porter Banister (porter9@concentric.net)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:05:26 -0400

Gareth the ChileKnight wrote:

>An herbalist-nutritionist passed on a comment that chiles are not heart
>healthy.  He added that they "can be" deleterious to coronary artery
disease.
> Sounds like bunk to me.  Anyone on here know better?  (Studies and stuff)

I cannot cite a study, but I do know that heart patients (those who have had
a coronary) are often advised by physicians not to eat hot peppers. They are
also advised not to climb stairs. We all know that climbing stairs is good
for a healthy person, but those with a damaged heart can experience severe
shortness of breath if they attempt it. It seems the increased heart rate
and sweat that chiles produce are also not good for a heart that has been
damaged and is recovering from a heart attack. I'm no medical expert, but I
can't imagine that chiles contain anything that would be deleterious to a
healthy cardiovascular system.

Porter