Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V6 #33 Stuff

Jesse Guadiana (jguad1@mer.cioe.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:48:06 -0500

Chile-Heads Digest wrote:

Subject: [CH] Pepper Abundance
NOTE to  "Britt, Robert K" <rkbritt@novanthealth.org>

If you have any jals or serranos in that patch, SMOKE(dry) a few ripened
ones in the aforementioned mesquite! One of El Grande's finest, IMHO...

Good day All.
Sorry, but I have to ask: the sea bass... was it MUTATED sea bass, as in
"Austin Powers, Int'l. Man of Mystery?"
Anyway, you hit most of the key ingredients for the bachelor-style
tomatillo-based salsa verde:
Remove the husk, rinse, then boil  "a bunch" of tomatillos.
Peel 'em if you want.
Use scissors to mince a clove or two of garlic.
Get a dried chipotle pepper from your stash (actually a ripe jal. smoked
days, weeks, MONTHS before, w/ mesquite charcoal from across the border,
NOT Kingsford's). Other chiles would do; I'm staying with the chipotle
theme here.

Throw all that, plus salt, into a blender, then ENJOY.

Modify it to suit, as you would chili / chili con carne / carne con
chile.

But wait, there's more!
> ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to judge the reported results.
> For example, a study linking chile consumption was "performed" in 1985
> and 1986, and the group concluded that chile consumption was related to
> stomach cancer in Mexico City.  An article showed up in the newspaper
> headed "Study Links Stomach Cancer to Chile Consumption".

Heck, just BEING in Mexico City is dangerous to your health. I've got
family there.
That, and never assume newspaperfolk are as UP on things (like
judgement) as an intelligent C-H.

Let's "Ask Marilyn" from the Parade magazine in the Sunday paper,
whattaya think? (cf. http://www.parade.com/marilyn/index.html)

The garden was hot and dry in NW Indiana, USA, but not as dry as
Bloomington, southern Indiana, I hear. Mid-August chile report:
Jal's are producing just a few peppers each.
Hatches are just starting to reach jal's in size.
The hab-family peppers are STUNTED. 30cm/about 1 ft. tall, and only ONE
of five plants has fruit, and it's still green. Oh well, it'll be easier
to over-winter them at this size.
The chaco is making up for the rest. It looks like a chiltepin. Lots of
small pea-sized fruit, juuuust turning yellow/orange, then presumably
red.

e- you all later,

Jesse G.
CH #1200