[CH] Off subject help

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:12:19 RSA-2

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:25:58 +1200
> From: "Alan Portman" <port@xtra.co.nz>

> Sorry about this but I am running IE Outlook Express and am
> having problems with "foreign " language support. I mean
> "foreign" in the best possible way!!! :) I had it with 2 on
> the list with "chinese support" and now I am having it with
> Akiva Kotler and "hebrew text display support". If I am not
> careful it all shuts down, is their something that needs
> ticking or whatever?

It has been done to near death on the list but for the benefit
of those that have not seen it.

E-mail is a for the most part very non-standard.  That means
what facilities you have on your all singing and dancing
browser-mailer is not generally available on mail specific or
older mail programs.  Of which there are many about.  Far to
many for anyone to assume the rest of the world has to conform
to Bills' dream.

Any attempt of sending anything but plain old US ASCII will look
beautiful on your screen but probably just be a bunch of junk on
the recipients system.

This maybe fine for you and your friends who may all have the
same mailer.  For a list such as chileheads or strangers it is
fatal.  It is also a sure sign of a newby ;-)

Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?