Re: [CH] Off topic Lutfisk

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:47:32 +0200

On 4 Sep 99, T wrote:

> > isn't the lutefisk *preserved* in lye?  Not rehydrated in it?

> "Lutefisk: a traditional scandanavian dish prepared by soaking air-dried
> cod in a lye solution for several weeks before skinning, boning, and
> boiling it, a process that gives the dish it's characteristic gelatinous
> consistency"

> I take that to mean that you use normal dried cod, and re-hydrate it in
> the lye solution.

Esentially this is correct. A special type of cod is usually used,
the name in Swedish is "Långa" (That is an a with a ring for those of
you not mime-enabled), esentially translates to "Long Fish". It is
dried for preservation, and it really smells when it is ready. Before
consumtion (unless you feed it to your dogs) it is rehydrated in lye,
then rinsed. I would guess that the lye breaks up the tough proteins,
and makes for this gelly-like texture.

As with everything else nowadays, people seldom actually purchase the
dried fish. You buy it in your store, luted and rinsed and ready to
eat.

Here in Sweden it is traditional christmas food, served basically
with boiled potatoes, a white sauce, and some strong mustard. At home
we always ground our own mustard from the seeds. Lutfisk without some
strong spice like that is a very bland meal. I would guess that some
hot chiles (hab powder) really could improve it.

And no, while it certainly is exotic, I just can't stand that food.
Exports of fried fish is growing though. Geez, I wonder how they cook
it in the Mediterenian and in Japan.

Kristofer