Re: [CH] Pepper Butter?

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:19:45 -0400

Her is a recipe for apple butter and another for pepper butter on
flounder.. I would think that you could adapt either to pepper butter.
Follow the 1/4 cup of sugar per 1 cup of strained pepper pulp.
The reason it is called butter is that it is really a spread (not a jam
or jelly) with the consistancy of a buttery spread.
Hope it helps
Chet

 Apple Butter

  12      	                    	medium apples; unpeeled and cored
  2       	cups                	sugar
1/2     	teaspoon            	cinnamon
1/2     	teaspoon            	allspice
1/4     	teaspoon            	nutmeg
1/4     	teaspoon            	ground cloves
1/8     	teaspoon            	ground ginger

 Core apples, cut into eighths, and place in heavy saucepan.  Barely
cover with water (about a cup).  Cook over medium heat until apples just
soften, stirring often.  Cool slightly and force through food mill.
Measure pulp and return to saucepan.  Add 1/4 cup sugar for every cup of
pulp.
 Bring to a rolling boil over moderate heat.  Add spices.  Continue to
cook, stirring constantly, until temperature of apple mixture reaches
220 on a candy thermometer.  Ladle into sterile 1/2 pint jars, seal, and
process according to jar manufacturer's instructions.  Makes about 6
pints, or 81 servings of two tablespoons
each.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

 NOTES : VARIATIONS:  Substitute pears for apples, omit cinnamon and
nutmeg,  add 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger with
spices.
 Add 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, omit ginger and
cloves.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 Broiled Flounder With Red Bell-Pepper Butter

  4       	large               	flounder fillets
  1/2     	teaspoon            	safflower oil; for coating pan
  1       	                    	red bell pepper
  4       	tablespoons         	unsalted butter; softened
  2       	teaspoons           	minced shallots
  1       	teaspoon            	lemon juice
  1/4     	teaspoon            	Tabasco Sauce

 1. Wash fillets and pat dry. Lightly oil a large baking sheet. Preheat
broi

ler.

 2. Cut pepper in half, seed, and place, cut side down, on baking sheet.
Bro
 il until skin blackens (1 to 2 minutes). Place pepper halves in a paper
bag
 for 1 minute to steam, then rinse and peel off blackened skin. Place in
foo
 d processor or blender with butter, shallots, lemon juice, and Tabasco.
Pur
 ee until thick spread is formed. Remove from blender, spoon into a
small bo
 wl, and
refrigerate.

 3. Broil fish on the same baking sheet. Cook 3 minutes per side for
fillets
 , 5 to 8 minutes per side for steaks. Turn once. Test for doneness by
flaki
 ng with a
fork.

 4. To serve, place a generous spoonful of red pepper butter on top of
each
 piece of broiled
fish.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-
 NOTES : Flame-roasted red bell peppers are pureed and mixed with
shallots and unsalted butter to spread over this tasty entree. You can
use a variety of fish -- from salmon or swordfish steaks to thin fillets
such as sole or flounder. The cooking time will vary according to the
thickness of the fish
 . Steam fresh asparagus or broccoli to accompany this easy
entree.
Rob Lusk wrote:

> I recently had a request for a Pepper Butter recipe.  I believe the recipe
> used hot wax peppers and contains no real butter.   Has anyone heard of this
> concoction?
>
> Robert Lusk....
> Pepper Fool
> www.PepperFool.com
> Recipes, Hot Sauce,  Restaurant Reviews, Photos and more.

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* cbacon@connix.com(work) | http://www.connix.com/~cbacon (work)  *
* Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco*
* Adopt a Doberman     Help end puppy mills!      www.dru.org     *