Re: [CH] State Fair Stuff...

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@tickets.com)
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:03:01 -0500

At 07:06 PM 9/3/99 -0500, green56 wrote:
>'Heads,
>
>Got Marie Sharp's "Habanero Pepper Sauce"   Anybuddy had this stuff?  Need I
>worry???  How izzit?

I've had the Marie Sharp's "Fiery Hot" several times - in fact, I just
poured a liberal portion of it onto today's lunch (a falafel on pita, in
case anyone's interested). I like it a lot- it's got the same basic
ingredient mix as Melinda's and other "Belize" style hot sauces, but it
does have a really nice, fruity taste to it that the Melinda's products in
particular seem IMHO to lack; I think salt may be lower on the list of
ingredients, but can't prove it as don't have a bottle of Melinda's handy.
Texture-wise, the Marie Sharp's is a little runny, so if like me you pry
out the little plastic shaker thing it's easy to pour too much on your
food... as if that's a bad thing.

I have never had the "Mild", but suspect the flavor will be much the same
as all they do is up the amount of carrots or other filler vis-a-vis the
amount of habaneros. There's an intermediate stage between Mild and Fiery
Hot, but I can't remember if it's Medium or just plain Hot.

However, if thou didst pay $6 a bottle, thou didst indeed pay exceeding
dear; the supermarket across from my office sells it for $1.49 a bottle-
one of the best hot sauce values I've ever encountered. If you like it and
want to get more, I could always check out their case price...

On a similar note, I have been using a sauce brought back from Maine by a
colleague: Captain Mowatt's Spitfire Sauce. Produced by the W.O. Hesperus
Co. of Portland, ME; ingredients habanero peppers, carrots, onions, water,
lime juice, vinegar, garlic, salt and spices. SImilar in kick to the Marie
Sharp's without quite so fruity a tang to it. Good stuff regardless; anyone
else tried it?

Jonathan