Re: [CH] Off topic Lutfisk

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 06:54:03 +0200

On 6 Sep 99, Jim Weller wrote:

> I have several recipes for preparing the dish but none on actually
> preparing the fish. Do you have any idea how strong a lye solution
> to use?

The old reliable "Bonniers Kokbok" from 1960 states the following:

1 kg Dried Fish
150 g Soda (note 1)
350 g Slaked Lime (note 2)
(makes 3.5 kg)

Saw each fish in three pieces, brush the pieces well and put them in
a big wooden basin (note 3). Pour water over the fish until it is
well covered. Let stay for 5-6 days, changing the water every day.

Remove the fish from the basin and clean it throughly. Put a layer of
slaked lime on the bottom, put the fish with the skin side up, and
add another layer of slaked lime.

Dissolve the soda in warm water. Allow to chill, and add as much
water as needed to cover the fish. Let stay for about a week. Move
the fish around during this period, and add more water as the fish
swells. (Carful with your hands, since the lye burns.) The fish
should get so soft that you can run your finger through it. Do not
allow it to get too soft though, carful checking is needed towards
the end.

Rinse the lyed fish well. Clean the basin, put the fish back in and
cover with a generous amount of cold water. The fish must now be
soaked/watered with precision. The first week, the water must be
changed every day. After that every other and every third day. If you
soak it for too long a time, the fish will get too firm. If you soak
it too little, it will will turn into a gelly mess when cooked.
(note 4)

Note 1: The recipe just says "Soda". My guess is that "baking
soda/sodium bicarbonate" (NaHCO3) is meant. Could be Na2CO3*10(H20)
(disodium carbonate), but I doubt it.
Note 2: Slaked lime - Ca(OH)2
Note 3: The lye is highly alkaline, the basin should not be metal
certainly not aluminum, possibly stainless steel could be used, but
wood, glass, enamel etc is preferred.
Note 4: The recipe does not say for how long the luted fish should be
soaked in water. Strange, since that is critical.

Now someone post a chile-related recipe over this. It is getting very
OT...  even in the sense that it does not taste that good...  ;)

Kristofer