Re: [CH] Smoked habs....favorite uses?

ken (kljones@eagnet.com)
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:24:50 -0400

Fritz Gutwein wrote:

> I love habs, and have smoked a few pints. What are your all's favorite uses
> for this delicacy?
>
> --
> Fritz Gutwein, DoorStep Publishing
> fritzg@iglou.com
I've been smoking a lot of my Habs this year and I've found endless uses
for them.  I've experimented with different types of wood, but haven't
decided which I prefer.  I grind most of them to a powder.  I prefer
cooking some things, such as grilled or fried fish, with regular dried
Hab powder instead of the smoked variety.  The smoked Hab powder tastes
great mixed in sausage, on potatoes cooked just about any way you can
imagine, on eggs, various types of legumes, etc.  Just let your
imagination run wild.  I've enjoyed it on everything I tried it on so
far.  I even tried some on a dessert-type dish the other day.  Try
slicing some black-ripe plantains(if they are available where you live),
sprinkle them lightly with the powder and saute them in butter or butter
flavored oil.  I thought the hot, sweet, fruity, and subtle smokey
flavors complimented each other nicely.
     One of my favorite uses for smoked Hab powder so far is to include
it in a dry rub for various meats and poultry prior to smoking or
grilling.  I don't have a specific recipe for a dry rub, but I usually
include most of the following ingredients:  paprika, smoked Hab powder
and/or Chipotle powder, onion powder, garlic powder, meat tenderizer, a
little salt, and (for some types of meat) a little mustard powder.  I
also usually include some finely chopped fresh or dried herbs that are
appropriate for whatever type of meat or poultry I'm cooking.
     I also like to just leave a basketful of smoked Habs on the kitchen
counter.  It keeps the whole kitchen smelling nice.
     Well, those are a few ideas for you.  Experimentation is the key!

Keep it hot,
               Ken, in South Georgia