Re: [CH] dehydrators

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 09:09:18 -0500

"Pieters, Rob (NL01)" wrote:

> Dehydrators have past a few times already, but I have never took any notice
> as I wasn't planning of drying peppers... but people can change.
> I've been reading so much on making powder that I do want to try this.

> But I thought by myself  before I'm going to buy one, there hard to find too
> here in Holland, perhaps someone with experience can give me some idea's for
> drying without a dehydrator.

I have had pretty good luck using the oven of my gas stove which has a
pilot light that delivers a temperature of about 105oF (as long as I
don't keep opening the door to check progress). It's also great for
rising bread dough.

Depending on insects, humidity in your area and available sunshine you
can build some outdoor racks like they used for gazillions of years
before man began building gadgets.

I have had some modest success drying Anaheims and Hungarian Hot Wax
peppers by stringing them in ristras and hanging them from the ceiling
near a forced air heating vent. About 95% dried fine with no traces of
mold or rot. The other 5% went to the compost pile where I then had
lots of volunmteer pepper plants this spring.  B^)=

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider