Indian Pickles, was: [CH] Awesome Curry

Rockin' Randy (ledbelly99@yahoo.com)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

Wow!

At this moment I have in my hand a jar of "Grandma's Kaduka Mango
Pickles". A shopping Center near my house has a Latin and Indian Grocer,
as well as my favorite Thai place, Yum Yum Thai.

I wondered into the Indian store and looked around for something
interesting looking.  I found a shelf with the Mango pickles and also
Gooseberry, Lime, and Garlic pickles.  I didn't care so much for the
Gooseberry version because of the pit but I suppose I could get around
that!  I eat them all straight out of the jar.  The garlic is my favorite.
I like it alone and have also put it in rice dishes or anything needing a
great hot garlic taste.

The company is listed as:

Grandma's Food Products
P.B. No. 31
Muvattupuzha, Kerala, India

All of the versions listed "Red Chilly, Green Chilly, Gingelly (???) Oil,
Mustard, Fenugreek, Asofoetida, and Synthetic (???) Vinegar"

Thanks for the link - the recipes will be worth trying in that I can use
"organic" vinegar.  Now if I can only find Gingelly Oil!

Rockin' Randy, closely eyeballing Hurricane Floyd

--- Lipant1@aol.com wrote:
> Hello!
> That would be the same as Indian mixed pickle. I am a great fan of
> Indian
> cooking, and am totally addicted to the hot and sour lime pickle that is
>
> served with Indian food.
===
Rockin' Randy's Homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~rocknrandy/index.html