Re: [CH] Looking for northern chile for rellenos

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:14:55 -0700

Doug Goldenberg wrote:

> I'm wondering what would be the best variety of chile for roasted green
> chile rellenos, for growing in a relatively cool climate (Oregon).  The
> Anaheims common in the supermarkets are too mild.  I tried growing poblanos,
> but they don't do so well up here.  Looking at New Mexican types -

Doug, I use Anaheims, as they are(a) readily available (b) relatively
cheap (c) are terrific, if you sprinkle the inside of them with either
Calvin's or Jim Campbell's chile powder..Jims's gives you a smokey
flavour, and Calvin's is just a good chile flavour, which when added to
the heat in the Anaheim, is really tremendous...also the Anaheim, when
fire roasted and skinned, is the best, IMHO for stuffing with cheese. I
use a combo of sharp cheddar, and Monterey jack, and sprinkle it with
Calvin's also! Do we like Calvin's? You bet! cheers, Doug in BC a leetle
bit to yer north....and never mind telling me to close the north gate, I
got a coupla guys telling me that already!