[CH] Re: Pepper crop (Was - Roy Stiel)

Paul Wilson (pwilson@flashcom.net)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:53:24 -0700

"T" <joemama@ticino.com> wrote:

>Subject: Re: [CH] Roy Stiel

>>Smallest crop in years. 30 lbs. Red Savinas (tm) and about 40 lbs. of
>>orange Habs

>What are the various methods you use for preserving/using them?
>Tom
I blanch and freeze half of them dry and  some of them and make chocolate
covered Brandy Peppers for the holidays out of about 4 quarts of each.

Someone was asking about using brandy with peppers. Try this:

Sterilize a 1 qt mason jar
Blanch enough peppers to overflow the jar
Dump into ice water to stop the cooking
Cut a small slit in each pepper
I leave the stems on so I have a little handle
Fill and pack the jar with peppers
Sprinkle 1 tsp sugar in the jar
Fill with the brandy of your choice
Seal the jar tightly and place on a shelf
in the garage or wherever
Invert the jar every other day for 1 month

Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat or,
melt 1 pound of semi-sweet or milk chocolate and
dip each pepper 'til coated well. Place on a flat tray
and refrigerate.
I happened to have several cases of 25 year old brandy
sitting around, but any brandy, whiskey, Gin or Vodka
should work just fine.
If you serve these at a party you had better have plenty.

		A chile pepper will never steal your car. Still
		lookin' for the ass kickin' pepper I can't eat.
		Paul Wilson,   San Jose, California
		mailto:pwilson@flashcom.net
		http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/skyzots