Re: [CH] Rocotos

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:29:05 -0500

Tom-
Sorry this is a late response.  'Been out of town.
I use green Rocotos (Manzano peppers) for everything you would use green
bells or other green chiles for.  I have never done well with growing them
in this heat, but I occasionally get a case or two at a time from Mexico,
and have lots of green ones to deal with.  They can be dehydrated easily
after slicing.  They are really good sliced and cooked with any kind of
cheese dish, and are outstanding on home-made pizza and enchiladas.  In any
dish you cook, remove the seeds and the hard core just under the stem.
They make a mean green chile sauce cooked with Roma tomatoes, onions,
garlic, manzanilla and lime juice.  They can also be stuffed like a green
bell.  I like them best stuffed with Moz. string cheese and spices, wrapped
in bacon, and grilled over mesquite coals (drooling into keyboard).  Man,
those are good.
Calvin