Re: [CH] Chili

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:35:26 -0500

Green-
Here's a chili concoction that's pretty good, even if it is too late to
help.  I make several variations on this theme.  Feeds 10-16.
Ingredients:
3 lbs ground or finely chopped meat- your choice, I use extra lean
hamburger.
3 lbs Roma tomatoes, skins and all, coarse chopped
2 large yellow onions, chopped
6 sticks celery, tops and all, chopped
3 large fresh Jal. pods, finely chopped (substitute others or add more if
you like)
3 cups water
1 small can chopped black olives
3 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp celery powder
3 Tbs spicy mustard
2 Tbs manzanilla fines (not stalks) if you can get it
1 small can Chipotles/ Adobo, stirred and mashed to mush
1 Tbs cumin
3 Tbs A-1 sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs Old Hickory Smoke Salt
6 Tbs Lawrey's Season Salt- or to taste- start small and add
1 tsp black pepper
1 bottle Colgin's Liquid Smoke or similar
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 Tbs lemon pepper
1 to 6 tsp fresh powdered peppers (start small and add a little as you go)
4 Tbs powdered milk or 1/4 can canned milk (to reduce acid taste- regular
milk curdles)
Paprika for color as desired (2+- Tbs)
3 regular cans cream of tomato soup + 3 cans or more of water
2 cans red kidney beans if desired

If using fatty meat, cook meat down first and drain off grease.
With lean meat, add all meat and raw veggies, 3 cups water and spices to
large pot. Cook until all are done, stirring occasionally.  Sample for heat
level.  Add all remaining ingredients except soup+ water, milk and beans.
Simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding water to keep from getting
too thick.  Add soup, additional water, milk,  and beans( if desired), then
bring to a boil stirring often.  Boil 10 minutes stirring OFTEN (it will
stick), then simmer a while.  Leave lid on and let cool.  Refrigerate
overnight before re-heating to serve.  To use an old phrase:
"MMM-mmmmmm Goooood" - Andy Griffith