Re: [CH] Rocoto set fruit! V6 #64

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:28:03 -0500

Hi C-H's,

Rob Pieters wrote:
>I may lucky.... but the Rocoto (7 pcs) I have,  sitting together is a about
>a 14" pot, are all setting fruit at this very moment.
>Never had a rocoto before and it's there first year, thanks to Cameron, I
>don't know if there fruits will get mature as the weather is going to change
>to lower temperatures here in Holland.... would like to know how low in
>temperature they can stay outdoors
>Fruits have the size from a marble at the moment....

My experience Rob, is that they will continue to produce the fruit
which has already set after you bring them indoors. Try to find them
a space by a South facing window. Do not be alarmed by a significant
loss of leaves, after which I generally trim the branches quite
severely.

Some C-H's report that their rocotos have withstood light frosts
without damage. I usually try to keep mine above 40degF (4degC), but
tonight here in Ohio a light frost is just possible and so I am going
to let them sit out in it and think about ripening their pods a
little faster. They have had far to much idle time basking in the
sun. Now it's payback time!

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.