Re: [CH] Digest V6 #63 Adobo "OnT."

Jesse Guadiana (jguad1@mer.cioe.com)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:02:40 -0500

Hey, Ch's,
Like Paulino alluded to, Adobo CAN contain chile, at least in Mexican
cooking: F'r instance, just look at that University of Guadalajara site
he mentioned, under "meats" for veal in adobo.

<CliffClaven>
"Adobo" kinda means "dressing" en espaņol. "Adobar" = "to dress, to
prepare." "Carne adobada" is occasionally available from my local
supermercado. It looks reddish brown, like it has been "dressed" with a
powdered mix, with lots of chile ancho powder. Just a little heat,
y'know.

"Adobo" to PUERTO RICANS (and perhaps other Spanish-speaking areas of
the Caribbean: Cuba, Dominican Rep.?) is usually a "seasoned salt" type
of dressing, powdered again. Always with salt, and one or more of onion
powder, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, oregano, turmeric, and even
MSG.
</CliffClaven>

And Brent T., the Filipino recipe that you listed *did* have black
pepper in it, so it's   k i n d a   OnT, too. =^]

Hasta la lista,
Jesse G.
CH#1200

Chile-Heads Digest wrote:

[snip]
> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:07:26 -0100
> From: Paulino Garcia <paulino@home.com>
> Subject: Re: [CH] Adobo
>
> To the best of my knowledge Adobo has a Spanish background, which means
> that all countries touched by Spain in the old times have their own
> version of Adobo.
>
> I am from Mexico, and the Mexican version of Adobo is very good, the
> following web site is from a well known Mexican University located in
> the city of Guadalajara in the sate of Jalisco.
[snip]
http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/home.html