[CH] Re: Roco's [or Paul looses it to a ripe C. pub]

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:03:40 -0500

Hi C-H's,

Paul wrote:

>Tried the first Rocoto the other day

Congratulations!

>The speedy heat gave little chance to really taste it

The capsaicins are quite well confined to the central region around
the seeds. If you slice a bit off the bottom or sides you can taste
the flesh without the heat.

>As for pollinating, a bit of both. I saw a few weird flying insects in the
>flowers, but also when I saw an open flower, I gently brushed it with my
>finger tip. A lot of flowers opened against a leaf - making it difficult
>for insects to get at them.

Wasps will do it for you in London. They should be getting pretty
active (and stupid) now that your Summer is ending. It is OK to
gently twist the flowers above leaves.

>Cameron, thankyou very much for the seeds - another chile tried, tested &
>enjoyed! I hope the other receipients have had succes too.

You are most welcome. It is gratifying to hear of your success.

Calvin Donaghey tells me that he sometimes buys shipments of rocotos
that are up to the size of tennis balls. These would be just great
for stuffing. If he can get some seeds to me, I will share them with
interested parties if there are sufficient quantities, or grow them
for seed distribution the next year if not.

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.