Re: [CH] Hot Stuff in Tulsa, OK?

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:18:25 -0500

"Jonathan T. Smillie" wrote:

> I'm hitting the road again, this time for a two-week stint in Tulsa, OK.
> Any guidelines on what's up there as far as spicy foods? I'll be working at
> the Tulsa Performing Arts Center and staying at the nearby Adams Mark
> hotel; won't have a car for most of the time, but would appreciate any info
> either about stuff in the immediate vicinity or within a decent cab ride.

Last time I was in Tulsa (8 years ago) there were plenty of Tex-Mex
places, a few Chi-Chis type joints and a LOT of Oriental places
running the gamut from Cantonese through Szechuan and Thai. You should
be OK. People around there know and eat hot stuff.

It was near there at a truck stop where I saw a trucker lose $100 to a
local in bib overalls. This mouth was putting Frank's on jalapeno
poppers and bragging that they hadn't grown the pepper he couldn't
handle. (I can see the anticipatory grins from here) So, ol' Farmer
John asks him how serious he is about that brag.

Anyway they bet the hundred on "some peppers I picked from the ditch
next to my bean field". And Farmer John goes out to his pickup truck
to bring back a small "plain brown" bag of tiny little red peppers
that he called bird peppers. I suspect that they were wild chiltepins.
And he tells Trucker Mouth "Anyone can chew and swallow one of these.
The bet is - if you can do the second you get the hundred."

So, Motor Mouth gives us all a confident grin and pops one in his
mouth. Boys and girls, it was almost like being in a Warner Brothers
cartoon. Of course ol
Know-it-all tried drowning the fire with water. And when that didn't
work used the just poured (and very hot) coffee. When he could breathe
and speak above a squeak he looked at Farmer John who laid a second
pepper out on the counter and said "Here's the $100 pepper." And
grinned like a possum eating peaches.

Trucker Wussy pushed his Franklin across the counter, paid his tab and
left without a further word. I cadged about 20 of the little peppers
from Mr. Farmer
but didn't make any brags about eating them straight up. They weren't
as hot as Habs or Bonnets. But, they could give Datils that I have had
a run for their money.

So, you shouldn't have any trouble feeding your Jones in Tulsa.

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider