OFF TOPIC, more or less Re: [CH] GM rethought

Inagaddadavida,Baby (raelsixty4@earthlink.net)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:08:13 -0600

At 03:04 PM 10/4/99 +0900, David C. Yoshiba wrote:
<snip>
>with the very molecules of what makes up the universe disappeared. We are
>told by those with a vested interest that nuclear energy is safe. We are
>told by those with a vested interest that GMOs are safe. In both cases, the
>"scientists" are playing with the fundamental building blocks of something
>very important--to everyone and everything on this planet. Those building
>blocks are being rearranged and were told that it is for our benefit.
<snip>
>is only about 3 miles from the building in Tokaimura where corporate profit
>took front seat to the welfare of 310,000 people. Everyone in the area where
>I work was under government order not to venture outdoors. It will be some
>time before we find out what the real effects are to be. Where will the
>mistakes with GMOs be made? From where I sit, we have the choice of being
>concerned about the future, or in the future, terrified about the present.

it is indeed unfortunate that accidents like such must occur before people
take notice...also unfortunate is that for the Powers That Be, they will
care not until something happens in which there is no reversal, nothing in
their control to be done...such as genetically modifed chiles (some of
those heatless jals, for example) being planted in "controlled" fields over
the next few years...and then realization that gosh, the genetics has
drifted to various other flora...maybe mingled with some Bt
genes...mutating into El-Grande-only-knows...contaminating various crops,
forests, life...

extreme thinking? highly unlikely? probably...i certainly hope so...but the
point is, no one, NO one can say such is an impossibility, NO one can say
GMOs will not reek havok, NO one can say nuclear power is safe and sound,
NO one can say that pesticide/herbicide/etc use will not damage the earth,
life, as we know it...

but it doesn't matter because such things promise Profit, mankind's God...

damn high soapbox, eh?

Peace, Hendrix, and organic, non GM Chiles.......

Rael