Re: [CH] 3-in-1

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sat, 09 Oct 1999 14:24:52 -0500

David C. Yoshiba wrote:

> I've got three topics here. One is a question, two a thank you note, and
> three a bit of grovelling.
>
> 1. Last year, I grew an aji amarillo. It turned out to be a rather pitiful
> soul. The wall flower of the garden, as it certainly hadn't joined the
> growing party. Rather than eat just both pods, I saved the seed, then ate
> the pods. This year, something happened. The aji this year are bushy
> monsters well over six feet tall. They've got quite a few pods on them and
> are covered with blossums. The odd thing this time around is that it seems
> like it is taking forever for the pods to turn from green to yellow or
> orange. Why should it take longer for the pods to ripen once they seem to be
> the right size for it than it did last year? So far I've only gotten one pod
> to ripen. It would be a major drag to have the weather turn bad here and
> have the whole lot die on me at this stage. There's probably nothing that
> can be done, but what is the cause??
> David-

My Aji Amarillo plants have always taken much longer to ripen than Annuums or
other varieties, and I believe that is normal for the type.  All my Baccatums
except the small wild ones take their own sweet (literally) time.  The only ones
that seem to hurry are the ones that are stunted from some problem or are
excessively stressed.  I have 8' plants full of pods that are just beginning to
ripen now, so I understand your concerns.Calvin