Re: [CH] Semi Spam/Reply/Quoted txt./Replied to list/NO reply needed

luke speer (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 00:31:46 +1000

Graham Fussell wrote:

> [...]
>
> We've been lurking members of the list for over a year now, and have
> benefited greatly from its content.  We love the information, personalities
> and humour of its members.  Our personal chile garden is all the better for
> information shared.  We've tried some great recipes, our knowledge of chiles
> has expanded, and we've accessed, and in some instances, done business with
> commercial sites the list has directed us to.
>
> Most people who haven't been in business have little knowledge of the costs
> of
> setting up an operation such as ours.  Before beginning, we spent months and
> great deal of expense on research and feasibility.  There are also many
> government regulations involved.  Unfortunately, comments based on  lack of
> information
> can be misleading to the readers and potentially damaging to us.
>
> Your comments on Cholula was particularly incorrect.  If you can buy it at
> such a low price - Great!   But we cannot BUY from our US suppliers for
> anywhere near the price you suggest we SELL it for.  As you are well aware,
> this industry is in its infancy in Australia - as we grow and our volume
> increases, so will our buying power improve, and we will be better able to
> offer products at more comparable prices.  FWIW, our markup on imported
> sauces is lower than normally accepted markup margins, in order to price
> realistically.  Regardless of the price goods sell for elsewhere, the
> reality is that by the time they reach our shelves, there are considerable
> costs over and above the price of the item.  As one current example - we've
> just received a bill for $500 from AGAL (Aust. Govt. Analytical
> Laboratories) for sample testing on the 50lbs of Dave's burning nuts we
> brought in.  This cost will be incurred on each of the first 5 shipments and
> then random 1 in 5 after that.  This is just one of the many costly random
> tests that occur with each shipment.  Then there's freight and overheads to
> consider.  Sure - travellers can buy cheaper in the US - but it's not
> exactly the price of local postage, or a car or bus ride to a local shop .
> Individuals may also purchase via overseas mail order, and in most cases
> avoid government intervention.   However, as a bone fide business, we must
> comply with all Government regulations.   We don't have a problem with this,
> for it is reassuring to know that our government is diligent in avoiding
> imported 'nasties'.
>
> Owner-operator, Gray is currently in flight on his way to the Florida Fiery
> Foods Show .  Part of that objective is to talk with manufacturers and
> suppliers in the hope of improving our buying power.  If successful, this
> will reflect in consumer prices.
>
> Also FWIW, we have now tried three different shipping companies, and still
> can't get our products shipped under 6-8 weeks.  We also air-freighted one
> shipment - big financial mistake!   If you or others can guide us to a

Luke Replied Apologizing to all for the Quoted txt..

> Dear Bev:

                Re Spam
(1) BEV WROTE:
"Most people who haven't been in business have little knowledge of the costs
of setting up an operation such as ours.  Before beginning, we spent months and
a great deal of expense on research and feasibility.  There are also many
government regulations involved.  Unfortunately, comments based on  lack of
information can be misleading to the readers and potentially damaging to us."
LUKE REPLIED ::
Listen DEAR, (that ought to get your hackles up) Please explain your assumption
as quoted above!

I have been on this list continuously for about 3-4 years and used to download
the Archives for a year or two before that.
Jim Cambell Of Mild to Wild Pepper Co started by Drawing lots for his
Bread/Apple Smoked Habaneros (Flakes), We all sent him Email (hoping to get a
sample), some did , myself I had to wait a year and a half. I got some Apple
smoke Habs and a couple of his sauces..
Jim Did not even have his Sig Line on his Emails then..
Calvin Donaghey asked for people willing to evaluate his Wild Tepin and other
var Chile Powder..Took Me 6 months this time. To this Day I don't think Calvin
Advertises his Business,
O.K. These two Guys sent me some samples of their products and I will probably
continue to Wax lyrical about them  from time to time, But credit should be
given where its 'DUE".
In 98 I traveled to the USA taking small samples of both Jim's Flakes and
Calvin's Powder, Tasted both against other similar Chile products available
there and have come to this conclusion.- (See Below)..

"IMHO These Two Guys Have products that are the "Best currently available:"
Worldwide! (*****) FIVE STAR.."
Although Dale Freeman In Tasmania and Tony Flynn In New Zealand are in the Hunt
also..and they don't sell commercially at all..

SO basically what you did really was to "Spam the List" (Junk Mail) and as such
some of the subscribers may be already contacting "Cauce", Your ISP etc. So
don't be surprised if you get Telephone call from your ISP

STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY:

.
I Don't claim to be an Expert Non withstanding the fact I won the Sawtell Chile
Festival Eating Contest.. That's just Guts and Glory and a High tolerance to
Habaneros..
But I have been playing with this Genus for the last 30 years or so.. Current
Age 45

Michael Bailes at the Fragrant Garden (Erina NSW) writes to the list
occasionally,
(Leaves his Business at the Bottom as a Sig Line)
Has probably the best Aussie collection of Chile Vars.

Michael Bailes.
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia.
(OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
        Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
Michael Bailes <fragrantgarden@fastlink.com.au>
Uncle Steve leaves it All till the Sig Line: See Below:

 =======================================
          *       Uncle Steve's HOT Stuff       *
          *  Anything & Everything about Chiles *
          *   http://HotChiles.WildSpices.com/  *
          =======================================
Steve has some great products for sale and has competitions from time to time,
(FWIW) I have not entered any? (maybe one) Definitely have not won any thing..

I could list others who post to the list and don't put it up front as you did ..

unfortunately I lost 2 yrs of posts in a crash, No worry I'll get my Brother to
download the Archives from his Cable modem..
You claim to have done business with Commercial sites the list has directed you
to,
Did these Commercial Sites Actually say "Here We Are Look At Us",
I don't think so !
If you want to Generate Business to your Web site, Advertise it by all means by
Other media forms, Not here
Feel free to leave a Sig line  advertising your company
on any message that is relevant to the topic..(CHILES)
(Sometimes Irrelevant) is also acceptable..<G>

Don't claim to know much about Govt. regulation But I'll get back to that
later..
CHOLULA :
TEL IHOP (INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF PANCAKES) on International Drive  Orlando Fla
and ask where they Source their Cholula from.
Want their Telephone number ??
Of course you could always ask the list ???

IF you can't buy it from your US suppliers anywhere the price I suggested you
sell it for. I would suggest you look to the manufacturers in Mexico.. Cholula
should not sell for more than Tabasco as its made in Mexico where the labour
rates are appreciably cheaper..(FACT) (no fense tended to Mex. americans/Tejanos
on List) - (hell We Aussies could make it pretty cheap here also,)

AGAL ?= Dave's Burning Nuts AUD$500.00 to test a 50lb shipment, then a 1 in five
random sample checked after that..
S*** Girl ! "DISCONTINUE THE LINE"!!!!
or ask Dave to get a certificate from the USDA/FDA  to Certify that these comply
with whatever..
As for the AUSTRALIAN Governments Diligence in Avoiding imported Nasties ..
Too little too late..(Sad) but true..

( The only problem we don't have in Oz is Rabies and I'm not too sure of that)
Last girl I tried to Play Nekked Twister With Bit me and It Ain't healed Yet..

<<KNUCKLE DRAG BIG TIME>>

ASK Questions as to how much Woolworth's pays etc...
Be prepared to do a little math's and then ask again ??
You will hear a splutter and then you might get a reasonable rate..

I'm in Coffs Harbour NSW and if there isn't an outbreak of a Banana Disease in
the next few Years , which forces the Govt. into allowing the importation of
fruit from overseas I don't know the Guy who works for Chiquita..
Next Sacred Cow

Buying Power ?
The South Pacific Peso not being what it was a couple of yrs ago,
sure this causes problems,
but hey We are Aussies!
Kinda Related to Texans,
"Resilient, "
F*** you Jack attitude" etc.
Tell Gary to Buy Several Quality lines (Previously mentioned people spring to
mind)
and then Tell him to get down and dirty and look to new  vendors, But hey tell
him to Taste the products and compare them to the bench marks ..JC and CD..

!
Luke wrote put this sauce on your buy list,,
tastes better than Tabasco and people actually like and use It..
---------------------------------------See Below
Myron in Florida wrote:
----------------------------
Myrons in Daytona Beach..,, Lukes Comment,,
--------------------------------------
Bufalo Chipotle at Retail ...!
.91 cents USA ,
should retail in Australia at no more than $3.50 AUD Max , more likely $2.70..

Can't get Products shipped in under 6-8 weeks to the wild West..
Air freighted, (Big financial Mistake) yr words../
Spoke to my Brother tonight..
He wasn't in his Office but here are some figures he ran past me..
Sorry Fed Ex Was not the Freight agency he used / (Over 15 Kg's they were too
expensive..
Talk to a Good Freight forwarding Agent in Perth.
Suggest you find your own.
Can probably supply you with a name..
Recommended  (2%commision).
Ain't nothing free in this world..

My Brother  Uses CIRCLE FREIGHT..
Costs are approx.
Customs 30.00 Gate clearance90.00
misc. Airport Clearance 40.00
Agents Fees 40.00
About $200.00 USD then $3.00 USD per Kilo
This is Guesstimate as he is not near his files.. But its fairly close to the
Mark..
BTW His shipment is Electronic Components (Approx. value weekly $35-50K)- 30-70
kg weekly
ALL IN USD + $3.00 USD per Kilo per shipment ...

                                                         Luke in Oz
BTW  :
         Standard Disclaimers Apply

y4eh rq7435zpqsQ3K CU3R093Y89JH2 IONQ=0945R/VT;BW86

If you can read this Sig, send you resume to Phil Zimmerman@ pgp.com
or the NSA, COINTELPRO, DOJ, etc.

                            Luke In Oz