Re: [CH] New Pepper?

bill jernigan (bill.jernigan@juno.com)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:07:32 -0400

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:19:49 -0500 "R.Solarion - Apollonius.Net"
<damis@apollonius.net> writes:
>I ran across a type of
>pickled
>pepper that I had never seen before, and I am always checking that
>particular area of the supermarket.  It is made by "Embasa" brand and
>is
>called "Güerito Peppers."  They are small, yellow chiles .
>
>There are two dots over the U, which I have never seen on a Spanish
>word
>before.  I am assuming that it is to distinguish the pronunciation of
>the
>word from such a spelling as "Guerra" (war).  "Guerra" is pronounced
>"gwerra" so probably "Güerito" is pronounced "goo-erito."
>
>Does anybody know anything about this pepper?  Thanks.  Rob

guerito (with the unlaut) means "little blond"...so the translation is
"little yellow peppers"...there may be a specific pepper "named" guerito,
but it is also a generic term for "blond" peppers...

there is a difference in the pronouncation...guerra is pronounced
'ge-rra"...the double "r" is trilled...the initial g is *very* soft,
almost silent...

blond, or blondie (guerito) has the "gw" initial sound, with a *very*
soft, almost silent "g"...and the single "r" is not trilled...

"guero" does not appear in my velasquez, but does in my mexican
dictionaries...the unlaut shows up in a few spanish words, and there are
several that are endemic to mexico, and northern mexico in
particular...my guess is that these came from the abundance of germans
who lived in southern texas and northern mexico before there was a
texas...the same people who brought the accordian to mexico, and
influenced northern "conjunto" music, which is a direct descendant of
polka music...

to answer your question, i don't know ANYTHING about the chiles you
have...