Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V6 #81

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:43:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Richard Levy wrote:

> Now, at this point in this kind of joke, it is possible to believe that the
> second party KNEW it was a joke, predtended not to, and let the first party
> look like an idiot trying to explain the joke.  In real-time, if you act
> credulous enough, you can make the first guy go nuts trying to explain "No,
> it's a joke, see?"

Well, I'm not wired that way, at least not on a mailing list where a
lot of other people would be driven crazy too.

I have played "Jimmy the Dunce" in RL when a good friend makes a really
"clever" pun and wants that cleverness acknowledged;  but what Doug did
was essentially trying to play a practical joke on a whole mailing list,
most of whom he doesn't know.  Not the best way to make friends, and a
waste of lots of people's time.

FWIW, I agree with Gary's assessment of Doug.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

> >Doug Goldenberg" <dgoldenberg@sprintmail.com>
> >
> >That's the joke, silly.  You say, seriously, "Hey, you know, gullible is
> not
> >in the dictionary."  Their eyes widen with astonishment, as they say
> >"Really?!!."  Then they run over to the dictionary, and sure enough,
> >gullible IS in the dictionary.  At which point, they look at you puzzled,
> >you smile smugly, and they hit you over the head with the dictionary.
> Works
> >every time.
> >>
> >> Now, I'm not the best speller, but I know how to use an online
> dictionary,
> >> and here's what I found from there:

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas