Re: [CH] Ughhh! and Jerky

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:18:52 -0400

At 01:26 PM 10/21/99 -0500, Cameron Begg wrote:
>While we're in the tripe, haggis, anchovy and all the other stuff
>that grosses out  Yanks, here's one that almost got me. Gavin"the boy
>wonder" (fastest creature on planet Earth) has taken to asking (with
>an evil grin) for Marmite and strawberry jam sandwiches as a snack
>treat. I thought he was just doing this to jerk my chain, but last
>weekend, after a lot of hesitation, I tried a small piece and was
>amazed to discover that it does not taste like any of the
>ingredients, and is in fact pretty good.

This reminds me of a lady I met on another Food forum who claimed that she
could only enjoy hot dogs with peanut butter on them!  This sounded pretty
awful until at a gathering she got me to try a bite.  I was surprised in
that it was actually quite good and made me aware of the connection to
eating Satay with a peanut based dipping sauce.   Also I've been enjoying a
chinese dish of chicken with hot peppers and peanuts for years (Great
practice for using chopsticks, trying to pick up whole peanuts!).  With
that established, the concept of eating peanut butter with savory foods
does not seem as outlandish as it did at first.

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                Where ya' from?