Re: [CH] dehydratin' habs

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:33:12 -0700

H0T5AUCE@aol.com wrote:

> ... I bought an
> American Harvest at Sam Walton's little roadside shack ... all they had was
> the FD-50. My question is (and it has probably already been answered a
> million times, so pardon my redundancy) approximately how long does it take
> to dry four trays of habs?

Habaneros are thin walled and dry faster than thick walled
chiles.  My American Harvest FD-50/30 dries several trays
of habs to "leathery" dryness in about 5 to 6 hours and
"grindable" dryness in 7 to 8 hours.  The heat setting on
the FD-50/30 is variable.  The designated "fruits and vegies
setting" (135F/58C) is 10F degrees down from the max. heat
setting (meats and fish, 145F/63C), so it would be possible
to "hurry" 'em along if need be.  I slit the habs down one
side from stem to tip but I don't separate the halves.

Keep in mind that drying time will be relative to humidity.
It's hot and dry in SoCal right now, so drying time would
be a little less.  During times when tropical moisture flows
up from Mexico, it takes a little longer.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/