Re: [CH] Beware !!!If menudo or intestine grosses you out, don't

luke speer (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:09:14 +1000

Calvin Donaghey wrote:

> Luke, Tom, et al-
> (CHs----- BEWARE!!!!  If menudo or intestine grosses you out, don't read this)
> While on a job in west Texas several years ago, I was lucky enough to have a
> Mexican hunting camp cook working as a green card hand on my crew.   They
> showed up one morning with a live goat in the back of the truck.  He butchered
> the goat and made a sort of goat meat loaf with kidney, back strap, heart,
> liver, lungs, onion, garlic, tomato, jalapeno, spices, salsa and a lot of
> little green chiles (I couldn't ever get the name right) from Mexico.  Wrapped
> in the stomach lining, wrapped in aluminum foil, cooked in the coals for 3
> hours.  He called it Tripas.

_----------------_________--------------------
And the Cowboys out on the Texas Range took this to their hearts using most of a
unweaned calf. From memory I think they called it Son of a Bitch Stew,
(the secret Ingredient there was Marrow Gut fiiled with part digested milk),
although I would like to think it was the Chiles that led to the name..

(Vision of cowboys squatting on haunches around the chuck wagon, tasting a spoonful
and yelling out "Son of a Bitch" after biting down on some small red or green
objects)..

With the Recipe I have, the small amount of cooking water, the cooking time, this
sounds like it would end up as more of a meat loaf than a stew..

                            Luke in Oz

"While we're gone, if any talking animals tell you to buy some tacos
or beer, for God's sake do what they say."
-- Casey McCall, "Sports Night"