Re: [CH] Ornamental Chiles

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:47:09 +0100

On 25 Oct 99, Luke Van Santen wrote:

> I recently had someone tell me ornamental chiles are not edible. While
> I do not agree, is there any reason to not eat them?

The family Solanaceae has many genuses that are poisonous. Although
as far as I know, all Capsicum varieties are edible, there are other
members of Solanaceae that look like "berry" Capsicums, but are not,
and can be quite unhealthy.

Here in Sweden the ornamentals are usually labeled Capsicum Annuum,
and while the flower shops tell me not to eat them, I do, and they
are usually very very hot and nice. Some of them may taste a bit
bitter, but...  then again I like bitter...  ;)

Anyone knows differently?

Kristofer