[CH] Re: Yellow- Red, Oily, Sticky Stuff In My Peppers.

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:48:01 -0600

Dan, et al-
I have gotten a number of responses like yours, so I assume it is not that
uncommon for really hot pods.  I, too, had to taste the oil, and promptly lit
myself on fire.  Almost oleoresin cap heat, but without the machine oil taste. I
tried drying a pod until it was carmelized, and it made the oil much thicker and
decreased the volume.  I suppose from this that the oil is fairly volatile, and
am even more convinced that you lose essential oils drying them to the
carmelization stage.
Calvin