Re: [CH] Black bean salsa

Michelle DeWitt (mikey@qni.com)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:30:54 -0700

Nels, You probably have more black bean salsa recipes than you need by now but
this has always been a favorite.
Enjoy!
Michelle in KC

Black Bean Salsa
 Makes about 1 1/2 quarts

1 cup  dry black beans, soaked overnight in water
2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
2 (16 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained (or 6-8 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped)

4 jalapeno peppers, or more to taste; seeded if desired
1 sweet yellow bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, chopped very fine
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2/3  cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine
Green tops of 1 bunch green onions, chopped fine
Ground cumin to taste
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lime

Drain beans, then bring to boil in the chicken broth, reduce heat and simmer
for about an hour, or until tender-firm, neither hard nor mushy. Drain beans
and add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, yellow onion, green onions, garlic,
cilantro, cumin, black pepper, salt, vinegar and lime juice. Toss thoroughly.
Serve with lightly salted blue corn chips.