Re: [CH] Slightly OT: Recommendations for rice cooker?

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:10:47 -0800

Dan....I have one of those, which I have not used in many years, it is a
National, made by Panasonic, and I believe that it is the only good
one.They are OK but I use an ordinary pot, Revereware 2 qt, and the
tried, proven, foolproof method.....1 cup of long grain rice, 1 1/4 cup
of water, bring to boil, cover, turn to simmer and time for 14 minutes,
remove, fluff, and let sit for 5 minutes covered. This makes absolutely
the best rice, and as any CH who has done any of my recipes, knows, I
use Thai rice, almost exclusively. I use a different method for Arborio
rice, follow the directions of the pkg. I found that rice cookers did
not save any time, used as much electricity, and were much more of a
nuisance to store, which a pot is not, and can be used for all of the
other things you use a pot for! (try putting a rice cooker under the
bed!)Cheers, Doug in BC