RE: [CH] Rice Cooker

BURTON NEIL ALEXANDER, ITID (ATTBNA1@hq.psa.com.sg)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:46:44 +0800

In Singapore we have a great many varieties of rice cookers - the best being
the Japanese varieties such as Zojirushi. These are very, very easy to cook
(not stick pan), produce perfect rice everytime, and have different settings
for plain rice, mixed, congee/porridge. For the convience and pure quality
of the produced rice I would recommend buying one - I ussed the knuckle
method for years, but still sometimes got burnt rice, or stoggy rice.

Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: Blake Olson [mailto:blakeo@flash.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 11:05 AM
To: Chile
Subject: [CH] Rice Cooker

  I love rice and have looked at the cookers several times but the
concept always ends seeming silly.

 It's another electrical appliance
 It won't make rice any better than a decent saucepan.
 It's harder to clean.
 You have to store it or,
 it takes up room on the counter.

  The single advantage it has, as far as I can see, is that it is easier
to keep the rice warm and in an edible state for a longer time.

  Try the 'knuckle/15' method of cooking rice and see if you don't
agree.

  Get a saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Put however much rice in it
as you think you want. Fill it with water the depth of one knuckle over
the rice. (...usually the second knuckle, or about 3/4") Bring it to a
boil, reduce the heat as low as it will go, cover it, and cook it for 15
minutes. Turn the heat off at 15 minutes, leave the lid on, and the
stuff will still be piping hot 10 minutes later.

  There are a hundred variations on this involving sautéed onions or
chiles, various stocks, saffron, etc. The basic recipe, however, will
work every time so long as you try to keep the size of the pan within
reason. I.e, don't use a 2-quart pan to cook ½ cup of rice.

  I constantly fight for counter space and I don't think a rice cooker
is very decorative or easy to store.

Blake in San Antonio
Mailto: blakeo@flash.net