Re: [CH] Rice Cooker

chefchile (chefchile@gateway.net)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 01:56:19 -0800

I own and use a rice cooker at home all of the time.  It makes perfect rice
everytime and is so easy to use.  Not at all expensive and allows you to
work on the rest of the meal without having to check the rice constantly.
The one I have was about $40 the last time I looked.

Yes I can cook rice on the stove in a saucepan, but why bother.  I'll start
it up and prepare the other items.  By the time the meal is prepared the
rice is done and is already in the warming phase of the unit's timer.
Cleanup is a breeze since the insert removes for washing and is non-stick so
the rice basically rinses out.

As far as taking up counter space, yes it does, but then again so does the
coffeemaker the expresso machine, the counter top mixer and the toaster for
that matter.  The Rice cooker is small enough to take up little space on the
counter or under it and not heavy or bulky to move.  The one I have is
simple and definitely not unsightly.

I recommend purchasing one and trying it out for a while.  If you like it
then keep it on the counter or in a cupboard, and if you don't like it then
sell it at a garage sale, or give it to someone who may like to use it.  I
have found that since I started using mine I cook rice more often and have
expanded my creativity in the kitchen.

Yes children can use them almost without any supervision, (just keep an eye
on the rice to water ratio) as well as those people who have no cooking
ability (thus they can burn water).  My ex-girlfriend bought me mine for
Christmas last year.  She could not cook to save her life until I showed her
how to use the rice cooker.  When we split she went out and bought her own
for her new apartment.  Now she is learning to cook different items to serve
with rice.

I guess my advice is to try one out.  If nothing else you could fill it with
Chile Peppers and use it as a centerpiece.

John "Chile" Whalen
chefchile@gateway.net
ICQ# 53601591

"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or
control the firm resolve of a determined soul. "  (Ella Wheeler Wilcox)