Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V6 #104

luke speer (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:25:04 +1100

Michael Bailes wrote:

> Date: Thursday, 2 December 1999 1:37
> Subject: Re: [CH] Rocotto
> >Rocotos/Manzanos are not common to most areas. Their long maturity time for
> >fruiting does not lend it to commercial growing.
> this is one of the reasons it is very important for chilli heads on this
> list to save and swap seed.
> Most nurserymen would freak out at the" untidy" look of a manzano in a pot
> yet it is one of the most interssting chillies around.
> because of its sprawling growth it may not be grown commercially either.

I would tend to agree with Michael on the above statements, he gave me a Manzano
last year when iI was passing through and it still looks much the same, healthy
but still not a large plant,
messy, growth all over the place, I have it planted in a shady spot about 3-4
feet from a 15 yr old Tipuana Tipu tree, may be to close and getting its
nutrients robbed slightly but thats the best  I can offer it without pulling out
some of my wifes plants...( although I have noticed they seem to be looking
sicker every time I wander by with the Gylophosphate spray..) <<tiny g>>
I have been getting Brasiian (origin) Manzanos from the local fruit and
vegetable shop, they were 50c each Aud but are now down to 20c,, Saving seeds as
I Go ..

The Manzano may well be the mother of our modern Capsicums, (Bell Peppers) for
the US list members, Paul Boslands ancestor may be the father, See the Darwin
Awards fotr the story..

Have got a copy Of Michael Bailes new Book "" THE FRAGRANT CHILE""
Review will follow, So far its well worth the 19.95 Ozzie pesos..
Michael has given the subject a different slant and the book hopefully will end
up in most Public libraries here in Oz and hopefully world wide..

Standard disclaimers don't actually apply here as I know him and did crawl 200
yds/mtrs from his wine cellar to sleep in the back of my ute (-US pickup) in the
wee small hours..