Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V6 #109

fragrantgarden (fragrantgarden@fastlink.com.au)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 00:00:28 +1100

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:50:54 -0500
From: "Byron" <Byron.Bromley@gsd-co.com>
Subject: [CH] Toxins in your veggies are on the way, are you ready

- ----------
> Date: Friday, December 17, 1999 10:16:17
> From: wytze
> To: Ban-GEF; Biotech Activists
> Subject: B-GE: New Novartis Patents II
>
> The "invention" by Novartis apllies to transgenic plants with
> insecticdal properties.
> Toxins expressed by such transgenic plants include for example:
> Bacillus cereus proteins, Bacil
 For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the Ban-GEF
list,
> send email to Ban-GEF@lists.txinfinet.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.
Byron
When I first heard of all this transgenic stuff I thought it would be a
good idea. Then, in Oz, we were spraying our houses every year with
dieldrin and tossing around organoposphates and other nasty chlorinated
hydrocarbons as if there were no tomorrows (There wouldn't have been a
tomorrow either seeing most of this stuff either had a half life of 18
years or killed the world's photo plankton)
Then I read the story of L tryptophan.
This was a very popular amino acid, natural remedy for sleeplessness and
depression (It is a percussor of serotonin but that's another story)
It was banned some years ago.
I was told "Oh a bad batch was made and the government is being super
careful and protecting your health"
I believed that.
Not true x-file fans.
It turns out that Japanese company had discovered that by splicing a few
genes they could invent a new bacteria that would make L-tryptophan quickly.
I t did.
They (Japanese company) made lots of money.
Suddenly Americans started to die.
The L-tryptophan was not labelled that it was genetically engineered or in
any way different so it took some time to find what was killing people.
Apparently the new bug was producing lots of L-tryptophan but also another
deadly neurotoxin
To cut along story short the Japanese paid out 1.5 Billion or so
compensation as long as everyone said nothing.
There are still people chronically ill living a life of hell; in bed
permanently, in the USA.
I still don't know if the transgenic L-troptophan was sold in Australia. (
I was prescribed it at one time!)
This story was reported in the Australian Sun Herald Weekend supplement 4-8
weeks ago.  It may be available on line It is a most reliable paper.
It certainly makes you think doesn't it?
I think as a minimum I would like all transgenic food labelled as such so I
can choose what I eat.

Michael Bailes, The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250
Australia. (OZ); International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 4367 7322
Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
 Email: <fragrantgarden@fastlink.com.au>