Re: [CH] "Old Sour"

bill jernigan (bill.jernigan@juno.com)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:20:48 -0500

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 18:03:21 -0500 Myron Menaker <myronm@bellsouth.net>
writes:
> Happy New Year to all you CH'ers!
>
> While doing a little research on "old Florida," I came across a
> recipe for "old sour," a sauce made by the original settlers in the
Florida
> Keys.

here's another from my collection...have used it as a marinade for
fish...i would use fresh lime juice, but that's just me...and as always,
the amount (type) of chiles can be adjusted...

MMMMM----- Meal-Master Recipe

      Title: Old Sour
 Categories: Marinade

Old Sour is a Key West marinade of lime juice, garlic and serrano
peppers. It lets you break out that bottle of juice that otherwise might
sit around until it
gets stale.

For every cup of lime juice:
      5    + cloves of garlic
      5 sm FRESH chiles such as serrano
      1 md to small blender, or to taste

  Stem the peppers and peel the garlic, add with juice to blender,
  flip switch. Remove.  If the chiles are nice, the aroma will
  knock you down. Use to marinate poultry, seafood or pork before
  grilling/broiling/etc. The flecks of vegetable will brown, adding
  nice complex flavors.

MMMMM