Re: [CH]V6 #117 RE:Rocotos

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 12:06:54 -0500

Hi C-H's,
Jeffrey Rose wrote:

>I've tried for 2 years to grow these things (I live northwest of
>Boston, Zone 5) with almost no success.  Last year (1998) I started
>them from seed and had 2 nice plants with about 18 peppers ranging
>from olive to plum size.

How do you rate success?

>I dug up one plant and moved it inside.

Try growing them in pots in future so that you do not disrupt the
root system when you bring them in.

>Right now there are about 8-10 date/quince-size peppers still on the
>plant but they are showing no signs of ripening.

Be patient.

>Based on what I read, they like cool temps, shade, and a long
>growing season so they are adapted to a very narrow climate zone
>(like the Andes mountains).

They are actually one of the most tolerant species. However they do
best in partial shade and at warm rather than hot temperatures.

I agree with most of the comments from other C-H's on this subject.

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.