Re: [CH] Huevos Rancheros

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 19:48:21 -0600

Margo-
Steve Taylor was asking about campfire recipes and you asked about Huevos
Rancheros; 'think I'll kill two birds ( chickens--in the shell) with one
stone.

This is one of my Girl Scout  recipes; each batch feeds 8-12 kids:
Creedmont Camp Huevos Rancheros
At camp, when planning to have H.R. for breakfast, we bake 6 spuds in the
fire the evening before so they are ready for breakfast
.
Cooking time: about 40 minutes.
In a large Dutch Oven (preferably with coal flange lid- 14" is ideal)
Sautee:
1 large onion, chopped
3 strips of bacon, diced, or add Bacos(TM), 1 heaping spoonfull
1 tsp garlic granules
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/2 red bell, chopped
2 Jalapenos, seeded and most of heat removed, very finely chopped (we have
had one CH girl scout, so we had extra pods on the side)
Salt and pepper to taste
(Sautee in just enough olive oil or butter to get the job done- until onions
are clear.)
While cooking veggies, set aside and pre-heat coal lid with a good charge of
coals.
Add one chopped tomato, stir in until juice dissipates. Remove from coals.
DO NOT Stir after this point
 Sprinkle grated Mozz. or cheddar cheese to cover onions and peppers, Cover
with spuds, peeled and coarsely chopped, do not stir in or pack potatoes.
Cover with coal lid (ie broil) until spuds start to brown.(5-10 minutes if
your coals are hot)
Scramble a dozen eggs with salt, a little chile powder, a handful of crushed
croutons, and coarse black pepper. Pour scrambled eggs over top, do not stir
in. The eggs will seep down around the chunks of potato. Place over mild
coals, replace coal lid, bake until desired consistency of eggs is reached.
Check occasionally to keep from burning.
(Note: Lots of folks have dutch ovens without flange lids, so they don't use
top coals. Top coals or broiling is really needed for this recipe. Just make
a ridge all the way around the outside edge with a long sheet of aluminum
foil, lapping one thickness under the edge to hold it in place, and piling
the rest in a ridge around the lid.  The ridge is just to keep the coals
from falling off.)
{Second Note: With kids, the addition of coarse black pepper helps alleviate
the problem of coals and tiny insects getting in the food.  When they ask
"What's this black thing?" say black pepper was added      ;-)    ....}
This can be adapted to a real CH dish by adding chopped habs on top of the
potatoes/cheese before browning, or cranking up the heat in the eggs and
veggies.
Calvin.