[CH] Citrus/Cat Barrier, Was Aphids and Whiteflies

D. Gibson (jongleurdg@earthlink.net)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:08:50 -0600

Chris, we have a saying around these parts that goes "Can't even win for
losing!".  You seem to have very unusual cats because citrus is
"supposed" to be a mild repellant and an irritant on cats' skin and
noses and such.   Before I suggest you try blended, filtered hot pepper
and garlic tea or habanero dust on the plants as a repellant, perhaps
you could ask your cats if they LIKE pepper/garlic tea..  LOL.  You may
have to resort to mechanical barriers such as chicken wire cages or
up-ended tall laundry baskets over the plants or a wide strip of crushed
pecan shells that they would rather not walk on.  Although an unusual
barrier method, pecan shells can be purchased in bulk and make a good
mulch.

Has anyone tried putting a thin, translucent white trash bag over the
entire plant as a cat buffet barrier?  In fact if string is used to
secure the bag at the bottom, it might even make a temporary
mini-greenhouse of sorts.  The white color of the bag SHOULD diffuse
ambient light enough for the plant to keep growing while covered.
CAUTION: Be wary of direct sunlight as it might COOK the plant in the
bag.

D. Gibson