[CH] Chile Leaves

Jim Weller (Jim.Weller@salata.com)
23 Jan 00 15:39:07 -0800

Area: Rec.Food.Cooking
  From: Tj
    Subj: Re: SE Asian cookfest & Q

>>> sili is chili, and these are none other than chile leaves

> So what do they *taste* like? Have you nibbled them?

  Area: Chile-Heads
    From: Green56
      Subj: [CH] Cats Eating Leaves

> Chris, I'd read here before about cats - yourn most likely!  ;) -
> eating the leaves o'the chile plants.

> I've always wanted to try over wintering some chiles, but have never
> done so for this specific reason.

> I'm afraid to bring any chiles in and try over wintering them because
> I know they're in the Nighshade family and am terrified I'll lose one
> (or more!) of my beloved pets.

I'm going to respond to both posts at once. Not all Nightshades are
poisonous and chile leaves are indeed edible. They are commonly used in
the Phillipines and Papua New Guinea according to an Australian friend
of mine. I know that I like them chiffonaded and thrown into soups and
stir fries.

They taste like a cross between greens and herbs, kinda spinachy with
basil-like overtones. There is just a hint of green jalapeno taste to
them without the heat.

Whenever I overwinter my cayennes, I trim them back severely and I
always save the leaves for cooking. It's a nice fringe benefit to
growing chilies for their fruits.

                                                YK Jim