Re: [CH] When is a Fermented Sauce Done? - including Chile wines

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:59:39 -0500

Hi C-H's,
In a private email Kristofer B. wrote:
>I would be very interested in knowing what kind of microorganisms
>these are, and what they eat. Any chance you can find out?

Yarrowia lipolytica, tolerates at least 10% NaCl solution and is fed
with raw shoyu and glucose to make Japanese soy sauce.

However I think I remember that there are some species of Candida
which can tolerated higher concentrations. The sauce (C. frutescens
cv. 'Tabasco') I have been fermenting for ~18mo. has a very salty
taste but is many times hotter than the commercial "Tabasco". It also
has a pronounced fruity flavor. It started out at 17% NaCl as a
fraction of the total pepper weight. I expect they cut theirs with
vinegar and water.

Anyone know the genus and species of the yeast(s) that are used commercially?

---
                      Regards,               Cameron.